Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Jinja Tour

the Nile - the source of all life - WATER - it bubbles and swirls out of Lake Victoria then flows through Uganda, Sudan and up into Egypt where it empties into the Mediterranean Sea - it is THE SOURCE ... of power, of life for Uganda and so many more










This fishing village was right next to the Jinja Yacht Club on the Nile and it made me think of Jesus calling the disciples to him - come and follow me, I will make you fishers of men - and it was interesting that this small impoverished village was right next to the Yacht Club - such a nice place. Who was called and why - and who followed - something to think about








"Ting-Ting" is a section in town that Ben referred to as the "Detroit" of Jinja - we journied through what seemed a maze of stalls where men were working and re-working scrap metal to sell. Hard work - a stunning place - many wanted their picture taken










The last place we visited I didn't take any pictures - but I didn't need to - I will always remember those images. We went by the Jinja hospital. The buildings seem nice, family members of the sick were gathered in groups on the grounds because there is no one else to care for the patient. I saw two nurses in the building we visited and I guess they are there to change out iv's. It is the family who washes, feeds, and cleans the patient. We've all been to hospitals and we've all visited the sick or those who are loosing hope - but somehow this was different. I can't explain it any better than this. This is a country of many needs. This was a day I will never forget.

I have pages filled in my journal already but I just can't seem to share those words here - but I CAN share a few images. More soon




2 comments:

Cathy said...

Beautiful pictures...much greener than I would have imagined. Thanks for taking the time to post them...I look forward to more.

Anonymous said...

As I read what you have written and see the pictures I am taken back to my own experience on the "Jinja Tour." Even years later I cannot put into words the things I saw and experienced.

-Courtney Jenko