Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Kirongo ... and a new name

Here are a few images (okay, a lot) from Kirongo. A beautiful village about 2 hours from Jinja. Several members were gathered under a tree waiting for our arrival. It was stunning for me to see Catherine (Elijah's wife) get on her knees to greet Ben. But I understand it is a sign of respect. Elijah is the leader of the village or clan. Catherine seemed so happy to see us. When she came to me and knelt I didn't know what to do, so I knelt beside her - and I held her hand and looked into her eyes and tried to express my thanks for her hospitality. Somehow I think we made a connection. She kept my hand and led me to a seat under a huge shade tree. We were told what we would be doing that day. Part of the visit was to get to know Elijah and Kirongo; another part was to do something special through the Mvule project (http://www.kibogroup.org/)






The following picture is of Ben, Elijah and Mark - we were about to sit for chai and continue talking about the day. Abraham (director of the Mvule project is sitting near the entry way)






Now our tour of the village begins, first with coffee beans: (and of course children)





Catherine in the cooking hut





A water well in need of repair


vanilla beans growing on the vine



These next pictures are part of the reason for our trip. Mark and I wanted to honor a very special man - and could think of no better way than planting a Mvule tree for him. Elijah joined as we prayed a blessing over both - the tree and the man.









thanking Abraham for helping us with a very personal gift







Ben and Elijah plant a tree together





Natalie plants her tree with the help of Elijah and Sampson





After touring the village and many gardens for 3 hours we are back under the shade tree. Elijah and some other village leaders have a new name for me - it is Birungi and it means "all is well" "it is very good" This was really something to me because I am always quoting Julian of Norwich "All shall be well, and all SHALL be well, and all manner of things shall be WELL" Sometimes we just have to wonder at life - I love it! Now we are invited in for a meal. Afterward we must say our goodbyes and thank yous - an amazing day.






Catherine and I are saying good bye - such a sweet time




As we were leaving and headed back onto the bumpy road I was thinking of this quote, "The road goes ever on and on, Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow if I can..." JRR Tolkien
I am wondering ... "where am I going" ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow..this is amazing Nancy! I am enjoying every bit of it! The photos are awesome. Everything just reminds me of home...please continue posting more. I really like your new name! Missing you...
Violet

Cathy said...

Nancy,
I love love love the pictures, especially the people. I just want to hug the little bow legged boy with the crossed arms. Thanks for sharing.
Cathy