Tuesday, February 23, 2010

On the way to Kirongo





The drive to Kirongo (Chir-on-go) seemed like a very long roller coaster ride. The roads were dry - and red Ugandan dust swelled up with every lorry or car that passed. In some places the roads were very narrow - we drove through many villages ... there was a class underway beneath the shade of a big tree - we stopped at some places to look at buildings or a hut and we were almost always swamped by children - children with tattered clothing and beautiful faces - we were the spectacle - the thing that didn't fit the others ... the smiles were a miracle to behold. THEN, later my heart starts questioning will they have water, food, a place to sleep, love, care, education - what is their life really like?



2 comments:

Marcia said...

Nancy!
I want to hear more about Africa (and also the rest of your life). Are you going to visit the Blue House? Who are you traveling with?
Marcia Roepke

nlove said...

Marci - I've got lots of more posts to make - I don't know if I'll get them all out before I leave here - I didn't have time to get to Kazo - everything that I am doing is in the southeast area of Uganda in the Basoga region. I miss you and look forward to getting to know each other better! Nancy